In Medicine, we call Ultrasound Scanner every instrument that uses ultrasounds for the imaging of various organs of the human body. It is important to point out the absence of ionizing radiation. This fact is particularly important in obstetrics and pediatric patients.
A second unique advantage is that the examination with the use of an ultrasound scanner is performed in real time which makes possible the evaluation of rapidly moving anatomical structures such as the heart, blood, the foetus, and therefore this method can also be applied in patients who cannot show the required cooperation.
A third advantage of the ultrasound scanner is the multidimensional imaging capacity, which offers the possibility of accessing the anatomical region of interest from multiple points of the patient’s body. The exceptional distinguishing capacity in the surface body structures must be included in the positive aspects of this method.
The color Doppler ultrasound (TRIPLEX) offers a high distinguishing capacity giving the opportunity of control of the blood flow within the various blood vessels of the body, such as the aorta, the carotid arteries, the renal arteries, the veins and arteries of the upper and lower limbs. With this method the possible damages can be evaluated both qualitatively and quantitatively, the blood flow speed can be evaluated as well as the spectrum waveforms.
The TRIPLEX helps:
- To detect the atheromatous disease and to determine the degree of arterial stenosis (of the carotid arteries, the aorta and the arteries of the lower limbs)
- To detect an abdominal aorta aneurysm.
- To the detection of venous insufficiency in the lower limbs, the check for varicose veins, venous thrombosis.
- To check for arteriovenous malformations, abnormal arteriovenous communications, perfusion in neoplasms and the patency of the fistula implant in patients undergoing hemodialysis.
At the Radiology department of the Center Asklipios Diagnosis operate 4 color ultrasound scanners (2 made by Philips, 1 by Siemens and two by GE) with the aid of which ultrasound scans of the body vessels and of the heart are performed.
Thanks to the ultrasounds Breast, Prostate and Thyroid biopsies are performed.
- Ultrasound scans of surface organs: Surface organs, eye sockets, thyroid and parathyroid glands, cervix, breasts, soft tissues and subcutaneous tissues, muscles, joints, testicles and peni.
- Abdominal ultrasound: Liver, gall bladder-biliary ultrasound, pancreas, spleen, kidneys, adrenals, mesenteric and para-aortic lymph nodes, urinary bladder, prostate, uterus-ovaries.
- Endorectal ultrasound: Endorectal ultrasound scans for the examination of the prostate (and color Doppler).
- Color Doppler Ultrasound of blood vessels of the body: TRIPLEX of the carotid and vertebral arteries, abdominal aorta, iliac arteries and arteries of the lower limbs, renal arteries, arteries of the upper limbs, veins of the upper limbs, veins of the lower limbs.
- Check of implants and postoperative monitoring,
- Check and monitoring of transplants.
- Color Doppler of the splenoportal axis.
- Check of the arteriovenous communication (Hemodialysis).